What is Gynecomastia?
Gynecomastia surgery for masculine breasts
Gynecomastia is a disorder where the breast size in a male, increases like that of women. Gynecomastia occurs from breast fat accumulation that is caused by hormonal changes (imbalance between estrogen and androgen), and the overdeveloped mammary glands. Sometimes it can occur due to obesity, irrelevant of hormones.
Gynecomastia should be treated because it may very well affect the patient poorly, in his personal relationships or social life. Before getting any surgery, the endocrine system should be diagnosed first to find the causes.
If an adult patient with gynecomastia doesn’t have any problem in his endocrine system, he need surgical treatment. The procedures will depend on the degree of development of the mammary glands.
Gynecomastia surgery is recommended for:
- Those whose breasts are protruded and can be held by their hands.
- Those who have sagging breasts due to obesity or those who cannot transform their breasts into muscles through exercises after weight loss.
- Those whose areolae are large and protruded.
- Those who are under stress due to having protruded breasts.
- Those who can feel firm mammary glands around the areola.